Tuesday, May 01, 2007

is it stealing if you can't keep it?

I've been hearing rumblings about this for months now, but it looks like congress has officially managed to screw over internet radio stations. for those of us who like, say, pandora.com and other awesome internet-only stations (my guilty pleasure is sky.fm, which basically plays classical music's greatest hits...hey, it helps me study), we could find ourselves very unhappy after may 15, when the new regulations take effect and a lot of these stations will no longer be able to afford to function. I don't know much about the details of the legislation, but I thought I'd post this funky little banner and encourage you guys to pass the word along, if nothing else.

SaveNetRadio.org

hey, ^k^, when you're a lawyer, you're going to keep stuff like this from happening, right?

1 comment:

^kat^ said...

you might recall this theme from such previous hits as "Kat's 80-page Senior Thesis". That was talking about the previous regulation rates, which were saved at the last minute by the Small Webcaster Settlement Act. It doesn't look like that's going to happen this time around, unfortunately. There are congressmen working to get some sort of legislation passed so that web radio isn't killed forever (unless you're AOL or some company with hugely deep pockets), but I don't know all the details myself.

The greatest irony? I would care a LOT more about this if I WEREN'T in law school, because right now all I care about is my exam tomorrow. Sigh.