Tuesday, July 08, 2008

it's official...

...I have not one, not two, but three jobs lined up. :)

So, I'm still spending a year in Toledo starting in August. But instead of going right to New York, I'm heading to San Antonio, TX for a year to clerk on the federal appellate court (5th Circuit, for those of you keeping track). I just confirmed everything with the judge this morning, and it really takes a weight off of this week--otherwise I would have been in Detroit today, Louisville tomorrow, and San Diego on Thursday, with an interview in Jacksonville, FL waiting to be scheduled. I kept this re-application process to myself because I really wasn't sure how things would shake out, but I've been really fortunate, and I'm super excited--never having been to Texas before Sunday, let alone San Antonio, I had a nice Mexican meal on the RiverWalk, took a mini boat tour downtown, remembered the Alamo, and spent the evening doing BarBri flashcards (...yeah, my day didn't end with a bang).

Perhaps more important to you folks, there is a MASSIVE Six Flags in San Antonio, so maybe we can plan on that in summer '10 (or early fall '09)?

(And how have we not used a "rollercoasters" tag yet? geez!)

3 comments:

ericat13 said...

hang on -- I didn't even know that doing *two* clerkships was an option! and you kept up so diligently with the scrabulous game -- I had no idea you were even traveling :-P congratulations!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, Kat, congratulations! What made you decide to do two? And how are they different?

^kat^ said...

Well, the one I'm doing this year is in a district court, aka the federal trial court. It'll be really helpful for the nitty-gritty of being a litigator in terms of evidentiary rules, settlement conferences, etc, not to mention getting an understanding for the judge's decision-making process.

The one I'm doing thereafter is a circuit court clerkship, aka appellate court. Basically, I'll be working on cases that have been through a district court judge and now are on review. Notably, circuit courts work in panels of at least 3 judges, so there's the possibility of concurrence and dissent. Plus, after the circuit court, the next line of defense is the U.S. Supreme Court, so that's pretty cool. It's also going to be helpful for my career but in a more theoretical way, since you're mostly arguing points of law rather than issues of fact.