Tuesday, July 18, 2006

kids these days

I just want to say something that simultaneously makes me feel old and lame, and still kinda cool:

Kids nowadays just don't know how to crowd surf anymore.

To wit: At the Bowling for Soup concert tonight (I know... mock me if you will, but it was quite the good time), I counted numerous instances of droppage as well as many more of passing the surfer DIRECTLY into the hands of the onstage bouncer, and nary a single full-crowd, non-abortive surf of duration > 20 seconds or so.

This is not how we did it in my day. When I was a youngster, back in say, 1998-99 or so, let me tell you something, buster -- there was no such thing as crowd surfing droppage. Such would be a major party foul. Bouncer capture was significantly more frequent, but we usually gave OUR surfers a damn good ride before that happened. I remember two concerts in particular, an Athenaeum show and an Eve 6 show, that featured some truly world-class surfage of which I felt privileged to be a part.

Sigh. What is the world coming to, when a healthy young man or woman can no longer be hoisted in the air and groped prolongedly by his or her peers while simultaneously rocking out to the legends and/or one-hit wonders of tomorrow?

2 comments:

^kat^ said...

sorry, Matt, but I fuckin' hate crowd surfers. Perhaps because I am a petite female and not a burly male, but I can think of better ways to spend my evening than living in fear of being kicked in the head by an errant surfer (or, worse yet, bearing the full weight of the surfer on my own arms).

If crowd surfing's on the decline, I'm all for it. Whippersnappers.

Some Guy said...

Don't get me wrong, I could do without it too... but if you're going to do something, goldurnit, do it RIGHT. The real tragedy is that surfage, as far as I can tell, has not really decreased in frequency... just in quality.