Monday, August 27, 2007

Scars, etc.

Tonight, Dani and I were discussing the fact that the last word of the series was not "scar" as originally foretold. For anyone interested, here's the scoop:

http://allday.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/07/28/295678.aspx

Also, in searching for that answer, I also came across a fanpage where people were invited to write their own endings to the series, with the only provision being that the last word was "scar" (this was before news to the contrary came out). Naturally most of them were terribly written, but I loved the following:

...and then Harry fulfilled his new dream, of becoming a driver for NASCAR.

Posted by Steven Evangelista from new york, ny on June 22, 2007 12:30 AM


Oh, Steven Evangelista from new york, ny. You are quite the wit.

PS, most of the people on that forum seem to have had the same idea I did... that if the last word WERE scar, then it would be somehow indicating that the scar disappeared when Harry ceased to be a Horcrux (although my way... with someone asking "Harry... where's your scar?" or somesuch... was way more subtle than most of them).

And regarding my recent foray into Potterhood... I still maintain my position that they are good-not-great as literature (as I have mentioned before, it reminds me of the situation in Stranger than Fiction wherein Karen Eiffel is poised to write a GREAT work of literature but doesn't have the stones, and in the end it is just OK). And I still think that Lord of the Rings is far better epic, and Chronicles of Narnia is far better allegory. But now that I have invested the time to read them all (which I have to admit was worth it, if only to be part of the pop-culture phenom that was the last-book frenzy), I may as well put my long-dormant obsessive-analysis English major skills to work.

Anyone want to read Finnegans Wake next and we can analyze THAT?

1 comment:

^kat^ said...

Want more on our wit Steven? Look no further. He was apparently highly displeased with Winners: How Good Baseball Teams Become Great Ones (And It's Not the Way You Think) by Dayn Perry, finding it "somewhat insulting," but still giving it two stars. A little bit of self-loathing, there, Steve?

Anyway, I was also figuring that when the horcrux in him was destroyed, the scar would disappear, and then he could be "normal". I would prefer that ending, I think.

Matt, you want more Harry Potter to deconstruct? Cassie Clare is "famous" in the HP universe because she wrote probably the best fan fiction ever, definitely the best fan fic in HP fandom, a lengthy trilogy focusing on Draco and Harry's relationship. I read most of it our senior year, in my efforts not to work on my own senior essay. It took her much of the next three years to finish it since she was working on her own young adult lit (which I would like to read at some point), but it's done and I've got it all in PDF form if you (or you or you) want it. I may be, er, rereading it myself right now. It's a little easier going than Finnegan's Wake...