Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Bovinity Divinity Rests in Peace

Dear Friends:

Ryan and I visited the Ben and Jerry's factory last year, and do you know that there's a graveyard for all the flavors taken off the market? It's so wild! So you can amble around and see the mint-strawberry-coconut-pickle flavor that wasn't a huge grocery store success. I wonder if there are burial rituals written specifically for them....maybe that will have to be my summer mission, to compose the Ice Cream funeral. "Dear God, we gather together today to offer thanks for the ministry of Cherry Garcia (may she rest in peace) whose life brought sweetness and clogged arteries to many worldwide, fueling surges of positive endorphins as well as the cardiology industry...."

My particular favorite flavor does not involve fudge cows but does involve brownies--Chocolate Fudge Brownie wins the prize for me. Though I swear the brownie sizes (and ratio of brownie to ice cream) changes from pint to pint which is a massive pity because if the brownie pieces are too small, they don't have that wonderful frozen gooey-ness. Mmmm! CHOCOLATE!

Okay, here's the question of the day: would you prefer to work as an assembly line worker in
A. To work in the Hershey's chocolate factory (strategically located near HERSHEY PARK!!!!!!!)
B. The Godiva factory (or other high-chain chocolate factory)
C. The Ben and Jerry's factory on days when they were producing chocolate ice cream
D. You really are totally vanilla and would prefer none of the above options?

SocialTrinity

3 comments:

ericat13 said...

ben & jerry's. hands down. and on days when they're making other flavors, too -- I'd be happy for a change of pace just to make sure I don't get sick of chocolate (God forbid). side question: how would you make the perfect ice cream flavor? mine would involve chocolate ice cream and fudge ripples and chocolate cows...and maybe some marshmallow fluff or a white chocolate swirl. you know, for variety.

^kat^ said...

Man, I don't know. I think I'd leave about 80 pounds heaver than I went in on any of those jobs--then again, maybe being around it all day would be a turn-off. I think I'll go with Godiva, because as fun as HERSHEYPARK!!!11 is, I'll take high-end chocolate over their stuff any day. Plus, I'd be more willing to *give up* high-end chocolate than ice cream, in the odd event that I would burn out on it.

Per erica's inquiry, my perfect ice cream? oh, *tough.* Um. I would definitely have both cocoa fudge and marshmallow ripples, in a base of... butterscotch ice cream? does such a thing exist? Well, it does now. And it would have hunks of brownie *and* cookie dough in it, too. mmmm...

Some Guy said...

I would work at B&J's, although to be honest I'd rather be some kind of high-level executive in a corner office (but with a REALLY long spoon) (or a train of lackeys to bring me my ice cream samples) than an assembly line worker.

There is such a thing as butterscotch ice cream, and it is awesome. My ideal ice cream would probably feature that as well, or possibly caramel (or both together? Would that be awesome or gross?).

A close contender already exists in the form of a flavor made by Breyer... it is called something like "All That Caramel" or "A Truly Ridiculous Amount of Caramel" or "So Much Caramel Your Head May Actually Explode" or somesuch. I recommend it to all. Vanilla ice cream, plus tons of caramel, plus chunks of solid fudge, plus (I think) gooey fudge rivers as well. It's awesome.