Monday, June 12, 2006

Best. Show. Ever.

OK, maybe not literally, but it was definitely the best concert I have attended in the last year or so. Ericat13 and I just returned from an excellent live performance by Stephen Kellogg & The Sixers at the Acoustic Cafe in Bridgeport (and lived to tell about it!). It was touch-and-go for a while -- apparently people get these things called "reservations" when they want to go see a show -- but we managed to slip in at the last possible second and got, we think, the last 2 seats remaining.

Highlights of the show included (Erica will have to help me out if I forget any):

1) A random yet hilarious midshow bridge consisting of merely a background beat, Anchorman [and some other, but mostly Anchorman] quotes, and countoffs. So it sounded something like: "Milk was a bad choice... 2! 3! 4! [pause; new band member steps up to mike] I love scotch! Scotchy scotch scotch! ...2! 3! 4!"

2) An ass-kicking kazoo solo by SK himself.

3) A nice little a cappella rendering of "The Star-Spangled Banner," which SK6ers will apparently perform soon at Fenway Park.

4a) A reenactment of a middle-school dance, complete with the requisite arm-length sway dance, carried out with help from female front-row audience draftees.

4b) At the end of said middle-school dance, a chorus of "If you can't dance in your underpants, then you do not stand a chance" followed by one band member stripping to his boxers and doing something resembling a breakdance on the stage. WAIT! I just found video of a similar performance online! Let me see if this works:



5) A pleasant second encore played acoustically standing in the middle of the crowd.

6a) A FREAKING AMAZING THIRD ENCORE of "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" from Dirty Dancing...

6b) complete with "the lift" at the end of the song to finish off the show.

You know, every once in a while I doubt my taste... I think... "Gee, after I invited people to join me at a concert to see an artist they've never really heard before... what if it sucks?"

But it didn't. It was awesome. And thus, by proxy, I am also awesome.

1 comment:

ericat13 said...

one correction: one of the final random-movie-line-then-countoff quotes was an excerpt from "part of your world" from seminal disney classic _the little mermaid_. I'm not sure if whoever sang it (the bassist, maybe?) forgot his designated anchorman quote or what, but it added a nice touch (or seventh heaping, your choice) of surreality.

but yes -- AWESOME show. I am officially converted.

--ericat13, hereby convinced that any singer/band you people vouch for is worth checking out (ooh, but not bowling for soup. I draw the line at bowling for soup.)