Monday, June 05, 2006

HELP!!!!!!!!

Okay friends--I am charging you with finding a mission for my life, becuase I hate it. Not in the I-hate-my-life-and-want-to-throw-in-the-towel kindof way, more in the I-request-a-newer-model kind of way. I am totally ready toconcede grad school is not going to get me anywhere and try something totallydifferent. But what? What on earth is a student with a master's degree in theology and an undergrad major in English to do when she wants to make a majorcareer turn? I am qualified for nothing!
Now, here are my requirements for a job:

1. New climate: I want to move. A lot. Preferably somewhere people would wantto visit me (i.e. Florida, California, New Orleans, etc.)

2. New job climate: Nothing in religion. At all. I am tired of being seriousall the time. Right now all I do is study dying people and people who will dieand what it means to die or experience some sort of massive trauma and it is tiring! It is time for something fun! Or at least different. Dream jobsinclude but are not limited to: an editing gig, barista at starbuck's (thoughnot totally preferable), something in journalism, any job in the world where Ican work for Disney, anything in television or film preferably leading to mysuccess as an A-list star. Don't like suits but would give them a shot! Am open to all suggestions! Kat: Talk to me about entertainment law! Part of the problem is that I feel like I can'treally think out of the box. I don't know what's out there! Any thoughts? Any suggestions? Any idea how to get an income? Preferably one that will make me the next president of the United States or a Nobel prize winner but incomes that allow me to pay off my studentloans are also preferable!

PS. I am making a motion for a trip to Disney World during Gay Day for one of our amusement park ramblings! Opinions on this?

2 comments:

Some Guy said...

I think the classic plan is to find yourself some kind of subsistence job that will pay the bills while you simultaneously spend the remaining 128 hours of your week writing your novel/screenplay/symphony, going on auditions, or what have you.

This is theoretically sort of what I was doing this year... only I was dumb enough to pick "grad student" as my subsistence job, thereby assuring that I did not, in fact, have any spare time in which to pursue other interests. Hopefully I will rectify this for myself soon (by forcing myself to work on fewer projects and thus have some free time, not by quitting grad school), but let that stand as a word of caution. I recommend something that is guaranteed NOT to swallow your life whole or occupy any more of your time than the 40ish hours to which you are officially committed for your job. Starbucks barista actually sounds pretty good in this regard.

By the way, if you follow this plan and it works for you better or faster than it's working for me... TAKE ME WITH YOU! I have many diverse talents and would be an asset to virtually any enterprise you end up getting in on. I am happy to return the favor, as well.

(PS: If no one in your enterprise wants me, I am also quite willing to become a kept man. If K-Fed can do it, I ought to at least be capable of that.)

^kat^ said...

I have no idea when Gay Day is, but it sounds faaahhbulous.

Also, Dani, I'm sorry I missed your call yesterday--I'll give you a call after I come back from my bide ride (woo) this morning. :D YAY big life changes! It's scary, I know--I sometimes wonder if I'm becoming a lawyer because it's one of those "inside the box" careers that you learn about when you're young. I mean, I like studying the law, I think I'll like practicing the law... but that's not to say that I'm totally sold on the idea of "lawyer," as I might use my law degree ultimately for some other as-yet-undetermined purpose.

Matt, K-Fed is not a kept man, he is an artiste. If you go his route, you're gonna have to release your debut rap cd, is all I'm sayin'.